The Gates Scholarship (TGS) stands as a beacon of hope, providing a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship tailored for exceptional minority high school seniors from low-income households. Its noble purpose is to nurture the promising leaders of tomorrow and empower them to reach their full potential.
Host Country: United States of America (USA)
Study Abroad: Study in USA
Category: Undergraduate Scholarships
Eligible Countries: US Citizens | US Residents | All Countries
Reward: Full Scholarship | Living Allowance | Study Allowance
Deadline: September 15, 2023
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) Details
The Gates Scholarship has made a significant impact since its launch in 2017, promising to support 300 students per year, with the number reaching 3,000 students by 2018.
The program is a testament to The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s unwavering dedication to assisting outstanding minority students hailing from low-income backgrounds, enabling them to harness their true potential.
The scholarship program is deeply rooted in evidence that indicates how eliminating financial barriers can pave the way for high-potential, low-income minority students to thrive in their academic pursuits and excel in graduate studies.
To be eligible for the Gates Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American*
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
- Plan to enroll full-time in a four-year degree program at a US-accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university
For American Indian/Alaska Native applicants, proof of tribal enrollment will be required.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Selected scholars will be provided funding for the full cost of attendance*, which covers expenses not already addressed by other financial aid or the expected family contribution as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university.
The cost of attendance includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, and transportation, and may encompass other personal costs.
An Ideal Candidate
The Gates Scholarship seeks candidates who possess the following attributes:
- An outstanding academic record in high school, placing in the top 10% of their graduating class
- Demonstrated leadership ability showcased through active participation in community service, extracurricular, or other impactful activities
- Exceptional personal success skills, such as emotional maturity, motivation, and perseverance
Method of Application
Interested applicants are required to create a profile account with the scholarship program and complete essential and mandatory questions related to their profile and educational background, among others.
The selection process adheres to the following timeline:
Semi-Final Phase (Dec – Jan 2023)
Selection Phase (April 2024)
Awards (July-September 2024)
For aspiring students eager to grasp this opportunity, click the link below to apply:
Deadline: September 15, 2023
Unlock your potential and embrace the future with The Gates Scholarship, where excellence knows no barriers. Empowering outstanding minority students to achieve greatness in their education and beyond, this prestigious scholarship will forever transform lives. Seize the chance to soar to new heights and make a lasting impact on the world.