The Harvard Academy Scholars Program, offered by Harvard University, presents an incredible opportunity for recent PhD recipients and doctoral candidates in the social sciences. This prestigious program provides full sponsorship, including an annual stipend of $75,000, along with a range of other benefits.
Identifying Exceptional Scholars
The Academy Scholars Program aims to identify and support exceptional scholars at the early stages of their careers. These scholars exhibit not only disciplinary excellence in the social sciences but also a profound understanding of languages, histories, or cultures outside of the United States or Canada.
- Scholarship Sponsor(s): Harvard University/Academy
- Scholarship Type: Postgraduate Fellowships
- Host Institution(s): Harvard University
- Scholarship Worth: Up to $75,000 annual stipend + other benefits
- Study Level: PhD and Postdocs
- Number of Awards: 4 to 6 per year
- Nationality: Open to all nationalities
The Harvard Academy Scholars Program 2023 is open to recipients of PhD or comparable doctoral degrees who have graduated within two years of the August 1, 2024, start date. Additionally, advanced doctoral candidates in the social sciences are also eligible to apply. For scholars nearing completion of their dissertations, they must be able to provide degree conferral documentation issued by their university registrar’s office by June 30, 2024, for the August 1, 2024, start date. Applicants who have previously held or completed another postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard are not eligible.
Successful postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an impressive annual stipend of $75,000. In addition to the stipend, scholars will also have access to funding for conference and research travel, research assistants, and comprehensive health insurance coverage.
To apply for the Harvard Academy Scholars Program, interested individuals must complete the online application process. All application materials, including three letters of recommendation, need to be submitted online as PDF documents. To access the online application, visit the homepage of The Harvard Academy’s website and click on the “APPLY ONLINE” button.
The completed application should include:
- Cover letter: A concise statement outlining the applicant’s academic field, specialization in a specific country or region, and proposed research topic.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé, including a list of publications.
- Research proposal (maximum 2500 words): This should include the intellectual objectives of the proposed research and the planned methodological and disciplinary approach.
- Copy of the applicant’s PhD program transcript.
- Three letters of recommendation: These should be addressed to the “Selection Committee” and uploaded through the online application. The letters must be submitted by the application deadline.
The deadline for submitting applications to the Harvard Academy Scholars Program is September 22, 2023. It is important to note that late applications will not be accepted.
For further details and to access the official website, please visit the Official Website of the Harvard Academy Scholars Program.