American College of Surgeons Scholarships for International Students: The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is proud to offer International Guest Scholarships to young surgeons from countries outside of the United States or Canada. These scholarships provide a unique opportunity for talented surgeons who have a strong interest in teaching and research. By participating in the program, scholars can enhance their knowledge and skills by visiting clinical, teaching, and research activities in the United States and Canada. Additionally, they have the privilege to attend and actively engage in the educational opportunities and activities organized by the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
The Origins of the Scholarship
The ACS International Guest Scholarships were established through the generous contributions and endowments from various individuals and organizations. The legacy left by Paul R. Hawley, MD (FACS Hon), a former College Director, initially provided the scholarship endowment. In recent times, the family of Abdol Islami, MD (FACS), the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, and other benefactors have made significant gifts to expand the number of scholarship awards.
About the American College of Surgeons
Founded in 1913, the American College of Surgeons is an esteemed educational association dedicated to enhancing the care provided to surgical patients and maintaining high standards of care within an optimal and ethical practice environment.
American College of Surgeons Scholarships Program Details
Organization: American College of Surgeons
Country to Study: United States
School to Study: Not specified
Course to Study: Not specified
State of Origin: Not specified
Gender: Men and Women
Application Deadline: August 18, 2023
Aim and Benefits of ACS Scholarship Program
The ACS International Guest Scholarships, valued at $10,000 each, offer recipients the invaluable opportunity to observe and participate in clinical, teaching, and research activities in the United States and Canada. Moreover, the scholars are granted full access to the educational opportunities and activities organized by the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
Requirements for ACS Scholarship Program Qualification
To be eligible for the ACS International Guest Scholarships, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be graduates of medical schools and have completed their surgical training.
- Applicants must be between 35 and 50 years old at the time of submitting their completed application.
- Applications must be submitted from the applicant’s intended permanent location. The College will process applications only from individuals who have practiced surgery, teaching, or research for at least one year at their intended permanent location after completing all formal training, including fellowships and scholarships.
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research that aligns with the standards of their respective countries.
- Early careerists are generally given preference over those in senior academic appointments.
- The College requires applicants to submit a fully completed application form, available on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be in English, and a curriculum vitae alone will not be accepted as a submission.
- Applicants must provide a list of all their publications, as well as three complete publications (reprints or manuscripts) of their choice from the provided list.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have not previously received training or surgical fellowships in the United States or Canada.
- Applicants must obtain three independently prepared letters of recommendation from colleagues. One of these letters must come from the chair of the department where the applicant holds an academic appointment or from a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in the applicant’s country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter should include a detailed statement describing the nature and extent of the applicant’s teaching and academic involvement. Letters of recommendation must be submitted directly by the recommender.
- The online application form is designed to assist the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee and to guide applicants in preparing a structured curriculum vitae.
- The International Guest Scholarships must be utilized within the designated year and cannot be postponed.
- Scholarship recipients are required to submit a comprehensive written report detailing their experiences during the scholarship program upon completion of their visits.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply twice, but each time, they must complete and submit a new application along with updated supporting documentation.
How to Apply
If you are interested and meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for the ACS International Guest Scholarships by visiting the American College of Surgeons website at apps.facs.org. For more detailed information about the scholarship program, please visit the ACS website.